Gopal's Bookshelf

“The love of books is a love which requires neither justification, apology, nor defense.” - J.A. Langford

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Second Messiah -- Glenn Meade

The Second MessiahThe Second Messiah by Glenn Meade

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I had high hopes from the book. But lately most of books that I am reading have been disappointing me to some or the other extent. The title "Second Messiah" sounds intriguing, but book never really takes off or meets the expectations.

The Second Messiah is never revealed. I never understood what the fuss was all about. The book did talk about the new Pope opening up the Church and going back to its simple and humble roots, but nothing ever comes out of it. The story and the revenge being taken by Hassan Mallik never fits.... it makes the entire plot look like plotted while the author was riding a merry-go-round.

The angle between Lela and Jack is botched, the characters never develop. Hassan's quest for revenge seems misplaced, Father Beckett could have been such a powerful character, the idea could have been made into so much more, but instead all we see of the Holy Father is fear, anxiety and lots and lots of second guesses.

I wanted to read this book badly, and at one point was even thinking of buying it, but after reading a copy through the library, I'm glad I waited. A one time read only that too when burrowed... If you have anything intriguing on your shelf to read and less time, I would suggest to get on with it and give this a miss....



View all my reviews

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At October 14, 2013 at 2:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank goodness I am not the only person in the entire world who was disappointed by this book. This is the first I have read by this author and won't be too interested in reading a second. The characters are two dimensional, the writing very pedestrian lurching from one cliche to another, the dialogue is stilted, much of plot was quite predictable, the number of chapters was irritating and I couldn't see the justification for so many, and the way many chapters ended in cliff-hanging cliches like " 'I know who robbed the scroll and killed Green' " (how pray do you rob a scroll) became repetitive and annoying. I think this book should be given to first year creative writing students to show how not to write a thriller.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home